Sunday 6 September 2015

recent reads || august

ALOHA :D

These past couple of months I've sped through quite a few books, so I'll try keep this short and sweet :)


Ruby Red / Sapphire Blue / Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier ★★★☆☆
I had already watched the first two movies in German before I read these books, and it was definitely easier to imagine what was going on in the books with those visuals already in my head. This series is about time travel with a bit of a fantasy element, as well as a touch of (a rather silly) romance. The characters are a little flat, but it was still entertaining.

The Mistletoe Promise by Richard Paul Evans ★★★☆☆
The usual Christmas romance story...

except am I the only person who thinks it's a tad bit weird/unrealistic for a random stranger to come up to you and propose to be a fake boyfriend?! A random strANGER. THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW EACH OTHER. IT'S CREEPY. And OF COURSE this dude just happens to have an unlimited supply of money, which he uses on buying super expensive gifts for the girl who's A RANDOM STRANGER MIGHT I ADD.

Burn for Burn  / Fire with Fire / Ashes to Ashes by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian ★★★★☆
This series is pretty good, and has quite a few plot twists which is always interesting. This series has romance and even an element of fantasy-paranormal in it (which I was completely not expecting!), and revolves around the theme of revenge. The biggest let down in the series was thE ENDING. OH MY GOODNESS DO NOT EVEN TOUCH THE EPILOGUE OF THE LAST BOOK... I HATED IT!!! D: But otherwise, you find yourself getting kind of attached to at least one of the main three characters.

The Selection / The Elite / The One by Kiera Cass ★★★☆☆
Basically The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games. Enough said.

Although seriously, that basically sums this up! You have the social classes with the higher the number, the more poor you are, there is a competition for a bunch of women to fight for the throne beside a sparkly handsome prince, and of course, the decision to choose between your past lover or the new one (in the Hunger Games, that would be with Gale and Peeta. I was on Team Gale :P )

I found myself cringing and facepalming a lot in this series. I don't regret reading it, but I really don't see how it became so famous.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins ★★☆☆☆
Another story that resembles the kind of teen fiction you see on Wattpad. I'm not entirely sure why this book is so popular... I found it kind of boring to be honest D:

The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things by Anne Aguirre ★★★★☆
I don't know why I liked this book so much, but I did. I found the main character pretty unique (well, as unique as it gets with these kind of YA contemporary chick lits). 

Between Us and the Moon by Rebecca Maizel ★★★☆☆
I hate lying- and this story was based off the main character's lies she tells, and eventually gets so wound up in them that... urgh. Reading about her lying all the time made me so uncomfortable... but this book was the opposite to one above, as I wasn't a massive fan of the actual story, but the ending was awesome. When you first read it, you go WHAT?! THAT'S IT??? but then you realise the story continues on in your mind, and the author has already made her point clear.


Remember that you can always add me as a friend on Goodreads here :D

What have you been reading lately? ^_^

Stay fabulous!

Lena xx

No comments:

Post a Comment